Thursday, November 10, 2011

Christmas Countdown

I'm so excited about this project.  Every December my family likes to pick a different Christmas story to read each night.  I wanted to incorporate this tradition into a Christmas countdown.  Here's what we came up with:
We collected 24 different Chrismas stories and found an ornament to go along with each story.  Each night in December we'll read a Christmas story and put the ornament up on the tree, counting down to Christmas.

I didn't take pictures along the way, but the tree was cut out of a piece of 3/4 inch MDF.  It's 6 feet tall and I was able to fit 2 trees on one MDF board by flipping one upside down.  I was super proud of myself because it's the first time I ever used a jigsaw.  After sanding the trees I primed them and spray painted them in an Italian Olive color by Krylon.  I added hooks that just screwed into the trees to hang the ornaments on.  Finally I added a vinyl number under each hook to countdown to days until Christmas.  We'll start by adding the ornaments to the bottom and working our way up.  Once the tree is full of ornaments Chrismas will be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment